Traditional Italian Wedding Soup
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for brushing
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup dried orzo pasta
- 6 cups chopped fresh spinach
Make the Meatballs:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, egg, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into 1/2-inch meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush with olive oil.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the meatballs are browned and cooked through.
Make the Soup:
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion, carrots, and fennel. Sauté until the vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the white wine and simmer until reduced by about half, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add beef broth and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the orzo pasta and chopped spinach. Simmer until the orzo is cooked and the spinach is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and add a few meatballs to each bowl. Serve hot.
Enjoy your hearty Italian Wedding Soup with flavorful meatballs!