Creating homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup is a culinary adventure that rewards with unparalleled richness and flavor. Begin by sautéing a symphony of aromatics—onions, celery, and a medley of mushrooms—in a luxurious pool of unsalted butter. As the vegetables tenderize and the mushrooms release their earthy essence, the kitchen fills with an irresistible fragrance, signaling the start of a comforting culinary journey.
With a flourish, sprinkle in the alchemical dust of all-purpose flour, creating the foundation of a roux that will transform the humble ingredients into a velvety elixir. As the flour integrates, a dance of colors and textures ensues, teasing the senses and building anticipation for the symphony of flavors that is about to unfold.
Next, the elixir takes form with the addition of chicken or vegetable broth, each ladleful contributing to the alchemy in the pot. Stirring diligently, watch as the liquid thickens, binding the ingredients into a cohesive tapestry. The culinary canvas is enriched further with the introduction of whole milk and heavy cream, elevating the soup to a crescendo of creaminess.
To enhance the composition, season the concoction with dried thyme, oregano, and garlic powder, each spice adding its unique note to the melody. Taste, adjust, and allow the simmering pot to harmonize these elements into a seamless blend. As time elapses, the soup deepens in complexity, its symphony reaching a crescendo of savory perfection.
Savor the final product, a condensed cream of mushroom soup of unparalleled depth and character. The reward for the laborious journey is a versatile concoction that can serve as a canvas for various culinary creations or stand alone, delivering warmth and satisfaction with every spoonful. Homemade, nuanced, and rich, this condensed cream of mushroom soup is a testament to the artistry that can be achieved in the heart of the kitchen.
Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms (any variety you prefer)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and celery, sautéing until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot and cook until they release their moisture and become golden brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and mushrooms, stirring continuously to create a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Slowly pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens.
- Add the whole milk and heavy cream to the pot, stirring to combine. Allow the soup to come to a gentle simmer.
- Season the soup with dried thyme, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Adjust the seasonings according to your taste.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for at least 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Continue to stir occasionally to prevent the soup from sticking to the bottom of the pot. If the soup becomes too thick, you can add more broth to reach your desired consistency.
- Once the soup has thickened and the flavors have developed, remove it from the heat.
- Let the condensed cream of mushroom soup cool slightly before transferring it to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot and reheat if necessary. Adjust the seasoning one final time before serving.