Orange cauliflower is a vegetarian friendly take on Panda Express’s popular orange chicken recipe. Loaded with a sweet and spicy orange sauce, this lightened up take out classic will have your family happily eating their vegetables!
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 45 MINUTES
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour – gluten free or almond flour for keto version
- salt to taste
- Half head of cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2 inch ( 3 cm) florets
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic- minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed
- 1 scallions- thinly sliced -for garnish
- Wash and cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and water.
- One at a time, dip each cauliflower floret in the batter to coat, let the excess batter drip off.
- Arrange the battered cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet, or in your air fryer making sure they aren’t touching one another.
Air fry -375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Instant pot Airfryer lid – 375 Degrees F for 12 – 15 minutes
Bake- Pre heated oven 400 degrees. bake it on middle rack for 20- 25 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet or pan over medium heat, add garlic , ginger , red chili flakes and give it a stir.
- Next goes the orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce.
- Cook for 1 minute on high flame and let it come to a boil
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with water to form a paste.Add it to the orange sauce and whisk together.
- Continue to cook for 2 -3 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened, add in the sesame oil, and lower the heat .
- Toss the cooked cauliflower florets in the sauce until well coated.
- Serve the cauliflower over rice and garnish with the scallions and sesame seeds