- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk (plus more for brushing)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional add-ins like raisins, chocolate chips, or dried fruit
- Preheat Your Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C). This usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Prepare the Dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter, and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. If you’re adding any optional ingredients like raisins or chocolate chips, fold them into the dough at this stage.
- Shape the Scones: Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together. Pat the dough into a circle that’s about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Cut the Scones: Use a round biscuit cutter or a glass to cut out scones from the dough. Place the scones on a parchment paper-lined tray.
- Air Fry the Scones: Place the scones in the preheated air fryer basket, leaving a little space between each one. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk to help them brown.
- Cook: Cook the scones in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown and cooked through. Cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer model, so keep an eye on them.
- Cool and Serve: Once done, remove the scones from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve them warm with clotted cream, jam, or your favorite toppings.