This delectable vegan custard recipe promises a luxurious and creamy alternative to traditional custards, without the need for eggs or dairy. The combination of unsweetened plant milk, cornstarch, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and vegan butter creates a silky smooth texture that serves as a perfect filling for various desserts, such as eclairs, tarts, and donuts. The straightforward preparation involves whisking the plant milk and cornstarch, simmering the mixture with coconut milk and sugar, and finishing with the addition of vanilla extract and vegan butter for a rich, indulgent flavor.
Noteworthy is the flexibility of this recipe, offering options for customization. Adjusting the cornstarch quantity and using full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream allows for variations in thickness. The inclusion of unsweetened plant milk ensures a balanced sweetness level, while the addition of vegan butter contributes a layer of richness that elevates the custard’s overall profile. The recipe also provides substitutions for sugar, suggesting pure maple syrup or coconut sugar for those seeking alternatives. For chocolate enthusiasts, a delightful twist is offered by incorporating cocoa powder and vegan chocolate chips for a luscious chocolate pastry cream variation.
In conclusion, this vegan custard recipe is a testament to the versatility and decadence achievable in plant-based desserts. With its ease of preparation and potential for customization, it opens the door to a world of delightful possibilities, making it an excellent choice for those embracing a vegan lifestyle or simply seeking a delicious and cruelty-free alternative to traditional custards.
Vegan Custard (Pastry Cream)
Silky smooth and rich vanilla vegan custard, made with only 6 ingredients! No eggs or milk needed. Perfect for eclairs, tarts, donuts and more!
Prep Time5minutes mins
Cook Time5minutes mins
Total Time10minutes mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk (soy, almond, cashew, etc)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- Whisk the plant milk and cornstarch in a measuring cup or bowl until smooth.
- To a medium pot, add the coconut milk, sugar and milk/cornstarch mixture.
- Turn the heat to medium-high, and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer and continue whisking for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and vegan butter, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Place in a bowl with a layer of plastic wrap touching the top of the custard, to avoid a film forming. Place it in the refrigerator for a few hours to cool (you can speed this up by sticking it in the freezer for 30 minutes).
- Once cool, if it is clumpy at all, use an immersion blender to smooth it out. You could also use a high powered blender, stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a. hand mixer to smooth it out. Use immediately anywhere you’d like, or serve with a spoon and enjoy!
- For a thinner custard, you can decrease the cornstarch to 1/4 cup and use full fat coconut milk, not coconut cream.
- I have used soy, almond and cashew milk. They all worked well. Make sure to use unsweetened for best results; it may be too sweet if you use a sweetened milk.
- I have tried this using full fat coconut milk AND a can of coconut cream, and they both work well. The custard is thicker using coconut cream.
- If you need to substitute the sugar, you could likely add a few tablespoons of pure maple syrup instead, for a less sweet custard. Or use coconut sugar, but the custard will be brownish.
- You may leave out the vegan butter if needed, but it adds a richness that will be missed. It works without it though.
- Chocolate Pastry Cream – Add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder with everything in the pot at the beginning, then stir in 6 ounces of vegan chocolate chips when you stir in the butter.
Serving: 1of 12 servings | Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 42mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 236IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg