Preparation and Cooking:
Indulge in a delectable and family-friendly vegan breakfast casserole that brings together the best of plant-based ingredients. With a total preparation time of 20 minutes and a baking time of 1 hour and 15 minutes, this dish is a perfect make-ahead breakfast or brunch option. The recipe embraces a diverse array of flavors, making it equally appealing to both vegans and carnivores. Plus, it caters to gluten-free diets, ensuring a wholesome and inclusive meal.
The homemade shredded hash browns form the flavorful base of this casserole, featuring yellow potatoes, diced white onion, and a blend of seasonings. Beyond Sausage, mushrooms, garlic, and a colorful assortment of bell peppers add layers of taste and texture. The vegan “egg” mixture, crafted from a blend of soft and firm tofu, nutritional yeast, and aromatic spices, contributes a creamy consistency to tie everything together. Topped with vegan cheese and fresh green onions, this casserole promises a mouthwatering symphony of flavors.
Cooking Instructions and Tips:
Following the straightforward instructions, you’ll create a masterpiece by layering the hash browns, savory sausage and vegetable mix, and the rich tofu concoction. Baking in a preheated oven results in a golden, set top with a satisfying crunch. The recipe also offers practical tips, such as using frozen hash browns for a time-saving twist and ensuring gluten-free certification for store-bought vegan sausage. Leftovers can be rejuvenated with a quick sauté, enhancing the crispiness of the bottom layer of potatoes.
As a gluten-free and vegan option, this casserole stands out nutritionally, providing 400 calories per serving. It offers a balanced profile with 52g of carbohydrates, 14g of protein, and 16g of plant-based fats. Packed with vitamins and minerals from colorful vegetables, this breakfast delight is a wholesome way to start your day. Whether served with a side salad or dipped in homemade ketchup or salsa, this vegan breakfast casserole is a culinary journey that delights the taste buds and supports a diverse range of dietary preferences.
Vegan Breakfast Casserole (Gluten Free)
This vegan breakfast casserole is a delicious make-ahead breakfast that can be enjoyed by vegans and carnivores alike! It is also totally gluten free and family friendly.
DietGluten Free, Vegan
Prep Time20minutes minutes
Cook Time1hour hour 15minutes minutes
Total Time1hour hour 35minutes minutes
Homemade Shredded Hash Browns
- 4 large yellow potatoes shredded (or 8 smaller potatoes)
- 1 small white onion small dice (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper optional
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package 400g Beyond Sausage (4 sausages)
- 1 small container white mushrooms 227g, sliced/small dice
- 2 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 3 handfuls organic baby spinach 142g, roughly chopped
- 2 x 300g blocks soft tofu
- 1 x 300g block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup GF oat flour or bean flour
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese
- 3 green onions chopped (or fresh chives)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large 13 x 9-inch casserole dish with olive oil.
- Wash and prepare all the other ingredients. Doing so will make the final preparation and assembly quicker.
- Wash and grate 4 large potatoes (skin optional). Soak the grated potatoes in a large bowl of cold water for 5-10 minutes. Strain, squeeze out excess water and transfer to a clean tea towel to soak up any extra moisture.
- In a large non-stick pan, on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onions, shredded potatoes and cook until soft and some of the edges get crispy (about 10 minutes). Season with sea salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste. Transfer to 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- In the same large pan, add another tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Crumble up the breakfast sausage in the pan and cook until cooked through about 7-10 minutes. Transfer cooked sausage to a large bowl.
- To the same large pan, add a little extra olive oil if necessary. Add the garlic, mushrooms and peppers and cook for 7-10 minutes. Toss in the greens cook until wilted. Transfer everything to the same large bowl with the sausage.
- In a high-speed blender (or food processor), combine the tofu, nutritional yeast, flour, turmeric, sea salt, and blend until nice and smooth.
- Pour the tofu mixture in the large bowl with all the other cooked ingredients and combine. Pour mixture overtop the potato layer in the casserole dish. Top with the shredded cheese and chopped green onions.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until edges are golden and the top feels set. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- To save time, consider buying 1 to 2 packages of frozen shredded hash browns. Or you could use crumbled up frozen hash browns. But please note, that not all store-bought frozen hash browns are gluten-free.
- On that note, if you have food allergies or celiac disease, it’s also important to ensure that the brand of vegan sausage you get is certified gluten-free.
- Blending a combination of soft and firm tofu creates the best texture. You’ll need a total of 900g of tofu to make the vegan egg mixture.
- Serving a slice of this breakfast casserole with a side salad is excellent! Dipping each bite into homemade ketchup or salsa also compliments this recipe well.
- You can warm up leftover slices in a pan with a little vegan butter or olive oil. Doing so crisps up the bottom layer of potatoes, and it’s delicious!
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1220mg | Potassium: 1078mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 573IU | Vitamin C: 84mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 4mg