Tom Yum Soup with Zucchini Noodles is a delightful and healthy twist on the classic Thai dish, showcasing the vibrant flavors of Southeast Asian cuisine in a light and refreshing manner. This innovative variation replaces traditional rice noodles with spiralized zucchini, adding a nutritious and low-carb element to the iconic Tom Yum Soup.
At the heart of this dish is the fragrant and tangy Tom Yum broth, a medley of lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and chili, creating a symphony of flavors that dance on the taste buds. The zucchini noodles, with their mild flavor and crisp texture, absorb the essence of the broth, offering a refreshing contrast to the bold and spicy notes of the soup.
In addition to its vibrant taste, this rendition of Tom Yum Soup boasts health benefits, making it a popular choice among those seeking a lighter and more vegetable-centric option. Zucchini noodles provide a low-calorie alternative to traditional noodles while adding vitamins and minerals to the dish.
The beauty of Tom Yum Soup with Zucchini Noodles lies in its adaptability. It’s an excellent choice for those following a gluten-free, paleo, or low-carb diet. The zucchini noodles not only contribute to the overall nutritional profile but also enhance the visual appeal, creating a colorful and enticing bowl of soup.
Whether enjoyed as a light and satisfying meal on its own or paired with grilled protein like shrimp or chicken, Tom Yum Soup with Zucchini Noodles captures the essence of Thai cuisine while embracing the health-conscious preferences of modern eaters. It’s a delightful fusion of traditional flavors and contemporary culinary trends, offering a delicious and guilt-free option for those looking to savor the exotic allure of Tom Yum in a fresh and innovative way.
Tom Yum Soup with Zucchini Noodles
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised and cut into pieces
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1-2 Thai bird’s eye chilies, sliced (adjust to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of galangal or ginger, sliced
- 200g (7 oz) tofu, cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized into noodles
- 200g (7 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce for a vegetarian/vegan version
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Optional: Thai chili paste (Nam Prik Pao) for extra spice
- In a pot, bring the vegetable broth to a simmer. Add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, Thai chilies, garlic, and galangal or ginger. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes to infuse the flavors.
- Add tofu, cherry tomatoes, zucchini noodles, and mushrooms to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Season the soup with soy sauce, lime juice, fish sauce or soy sauce, and sugar. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Add Thai chili paste if you prefer a spicier soup.
- Remove lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and galangal or ginger pieces from the soup.
- Serve the Tom Yum Soup hot, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.
Nutritional Information (Approximate per serving, assuming 4 servings):
- Calories: 150-200
- Protein: 10-15g
- Fat: 7-10g
- Carbohydrates: 15-20g
- Fiber: 4-6g
- Sugar: 8-10g
- Sodium: 1200-1500mg
These values are estimates and may vary based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients used. Adjustments can be made based on dietary preferences and requirements.