Indulge in a culinary experience that transcends the ordinary with our exquisite recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. This sophisticated twist on a classic favorite promises a delightful harmony of flavors, combining the succulence of tender chicken with the nuanced sweetness and tanginess of an expertly crafted sauce. Ditching the deep fryer, this culinary masterpiece brings health-conscious elegance to your table.
Ingredients and Preparation: Begin the gastronomic journey by meticulously preparing the chicken. Seasoned with a judicious touch of salt and pepper, each bite-sized chunk is coated in a velvety layer of cornstarch before being enveloped in a luscious embrace of beaten eggs. A splash of vegetable oil in a preheated skillet initiates a golden brown exterior, ensuring a delectably crispy texture that forms the foundation of this gourmet creation.
The Art of Sauce Making: The pièce de résistance lies in the meticulously crafted sweet and sour sauce. A symphony of flavors unfolds with granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and ginger powder converging in a tantalizing dance. Simmering gracefully in the skillet, this sauce transforms into a velvety elixir, enriched further by a blend of cornstarch and water, ensuring a perfect, glossy consistency.
Baking Brilliance: Elevating the dish to unparalleled heights, the marriage of the crispy chicken and ambrosial sauce occurs in the oven’s gentle embrace. Baking at 325°F for 25-30 minutes, the chicken undergoes a culinary alchemy, resulting in a harmonious fusion of textures and flavors. The oven-baked method not only enhances the dish’s health quotient but also imparts a sophisticated depth to its taste profile.
Garnishing Grandeur: As the masterpiece emerges from the oven, a final touch of elegance awaits. Sliced green onions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds adorn the dish, creating a visual spectacle that mirrors the culinary excellence within. These garnishes not only contribute to the aesthetic appeal but also provide a burst of freshness and nuttiness, elevating the overall dining experience.
Presentation and Serving: Serve this gastronomic triumph over a bed of fragrant rice or alongside delicate noodles for a complete and gratifying meal. Whether hosting a soirée or seeking a gourmet weeknight dinner, our Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken is sure to captivate discerning palates and elevate your culinary repertoire. Embrace the artistry of home cooking with this sophisticated rendition of a timeless classic.
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken😎
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water (for thickening)
- Sliced green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a bowl and dip each piece of chicken into the cornstarch, coating it thoroughly. Then dip the coated chicken into the beaten eggs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken pieces on all sides, but don’t worry about cooking them through. The goal is to create a crispy coating. Once browned, remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and ginger powder to make the sweet and sour sauce.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add this cornstarch mixture to the sauce, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Return the browned chicken to the skillet, coating it evenly with the sweet and sour sauce.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish the baked sweet and sour chicken with sliced green onions and sesame seeds before serving.