Experience the comfort of Southern cuisine with a healthier twist in the form of Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak—a delightful rendition of the classic dish that brings crispy goodness to your plate with the efficiency and health benefits of air frying. This simple yet satisfying recipe transforms cube steaks into golden-brown perfection, marrying the crunch of a well-seasoned coating with the tenderness of the meat beneath.
The journey begins with a soak in buttermilk, infusing the cube steaks with flavor and tenderness. A seasoned flour mixture, featuring salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, coats the steaks, creating the signature crispy exterior. As the air fryer preheats to 375°F, the magic unfolds, with each steak receiving a golden-brown finish through the hot circulating air.
Served alongside a luscious homemade gravy, this Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak becomes a symphony of flavors and textures. The gravy, crafted with butter, flour, and milk, adds a creamy and savory element that perfectly complements the crispy steak. The result is a dish that captures the essence of traditional comfort food while embracing a lighter approach to cooking.
With approximately 400 calories per serving and a well-balanced nutritional profile, this dish invites you to savor the flavors of the South without compromising on health. Paired with your favorite sides or enjoyed on its own, this Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak embodies the joy of indulgence and nostalgia, making it a welcomed addition to your home-cooked repertoire. So, revel in the crispy, tender goodness of this Southern favorite, now made with a healthier twist in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
For the Steak:
- 4 cube steaks (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Cooking spray
For the Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cube steaks in a shallow dish and pour buttermilk over them. Let them soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the refrigerator for better flavor.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Dredge each cube steak in the seasoned flour mixture, pressing the flour onto the steak to adhere.
- Place the coated cube steaks in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Lightly spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Air fry for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the steaks are golden brown and cooked through.
- While the steaks are cooking, prepare the gravy. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to create a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak with the prepared gravy.
Nutritional Information (per serving, assuming recipe makes 4 servings without additional sides):
- Calories: ~400 kcal
- Total Fat: ~18g
- Saturated Fat: ~8g
- Unsaturated Fat: ~8g
- Cholesterol: ~110mg
- Sodium: ~900mg
- Total Carbohydrates: ~30g
- Dietary Fiber: ~1g
- Sugars: ~5g
- Protein: ~30g
Note: Nutritional values are approximate and may vary based on specific ingredients and brands used.
This Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak brings the beloved Southern classic to your table with a lighter touch. Adjust quantities based on personal preferences and dietary needs.