Air fryer biscuits made with lard offer a delightful and flavorful twist to the classic biscuit recipe, bringing a nostalgic touch to your table. This simple yet satisfying recipe emphasizes the use of traditional ingredients, with the inclusion of lard for a rich and buttery flavor that harkens back to time-honored baking practices.
In this recipe, the air fryer takes center stage, providing a quick and efficient way to achieve golden-brown perfection while preserving the tender and flaky texture of the biscuits. The combination of all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt forms the base, while chilled lard is cut into the mixture, creating those sought-after layers that make biscuits so irresistible.
The result is a batch of biscuits that boast a golden exterior and a soft, pillowy interior, with the distinctive taste and aroma of lard permeating each bite. The addition of buttermilk contributes a subtle tanginess and ensures a moist and flavorful crumb. These biscuits are perfect as a side to savory dishes, a complement to breakfast, or a delicious snack on their own.
From a nutritional standpoint, these biscuits provide a moderate balance of calories, fats, and carbohydrates. The use of lard adds a unique flavor profile and contributes to the overall texture of the biscuits. While they may be more indulgent than some alternatives, these biscuits celebrate the authenticity and richness of traditional Southern-style baking.
Whether you’re seeking a comforting addition to a home-cooked meal or looking to evoke the flavors of the past, these air fryer biscuits with lard offer a tasty and convenient option. Enjoy the simplicity and warmth of homemade biscuits that bring a touch of heritage to your modern kitchen.
Air Fryer Biscuits with Lard Recipe:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lard, chilled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut the chilled lard into small pieces and add it to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to incorporate the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently pat it into a circle about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Use a round cutter to cut out biscuits and place them in the preheated air fryer basket, leaving some space between them.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the biscuits to cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional Information (Per Biscuit, assuming 10 biscuits):
- Calories: Approximately 150-180 kcal
- Protein: 2-3g
- Carbohydrates: 15-20g
- Fat: 9-11g
- Fiber: 0-1g
- Sugars: 0-1g
- Sodium: 300-400mg (depending on ingredients used)
These values are rough estimates and can vary based on the specific ingredients and quantities used. Adjustments can be made based on your dietary preferences and nutritional needs. If you have specific dietary concerns, it’s advisable to consult with a nutritionist or use a nutrition calculator with precise ingredient details. Enjoy your delicious air fryer biscuits with lard!