Making caramel in an air fryer provides a quick and efficient way to achieve that rich, golden-brown goodness. The process begins by preheating the air fryer to 350°F, creating the perfect environment for the granulated sugar to transform into a delectable caramel. As the sugar heats up, it gradually melts and caramelizes, requiring occasional shakes of the basket to ensure an even consistency. The addition of cubed unsalted butter and a stream of heavy cream introduces a velvety smoothness to the caramel, creating a luscious texture that elevates any dessert.
After a few minutes of cooking, the caramel reaches its desired consistency, at which point vanilla extract and a pinch of salt are stirred in to enhance the flavor profile. This homemade caramel can be used immediately or allowed to cool for a few minutes, during which it thickens to a perfect drizzling or spreading consistency. The versatility of this air fryer caramel makes it an ideal topping for ice cream, pancakes, or any dessert that could use a sweet and indulgent touch.
Beyond its delicious taste and texture, it’s important to note the nutritional information for those conscious of their dietary intake. With approximately 150-180 calories per serving, 10-12g of total fat, and minimal sodium content, this homemade caramel strikes a balance between decadence and mindful consumption. The simplicity of the recipe and the ability to customize quantities make it an accessible treat for both seasoned bakers and those venturing into the world of homemade sweets. Just keep an eye on your air fryer to prevent any burning and adjust cooking times accordingly for a perfect batch of caramel every time.
air fryer 6-Minute Caramel Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat your air fryer: Set the air fryer to 350°F (180°C) and allow it to preheat.
- Prepare the sugar: Spread the granulated sugar evenly in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the sugar: Place the sugar in the preheated air fryer and cook for 6 minutes, stopping to shake the basket every 2 minutes. Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning. The sugar will gradually melt and turn into a golden-brown caramel.
- Add butter and cream: Carefully remove the air fryer basket, add the cubed butter to the melted sugar, and stir well. Then slowly pour in the heavy cream while continuing to stir.
- Continue cooking: Place the basket back into the air fryer and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the caramel is smooth and reaches your desired consistency. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add vanilla and salt: Stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to enhance the flavor of the caramel. Mix well.
- Cool and use: Allow the caramel to cool for a few minutes before transferring it to a jar or container. The caramel will thicken as it cools. Use it as a topping for ice cream, pancakes, or any other dessert of your choice.
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on your specific air fryer model, so it’s essential to keep a close eye on the caramel to prevent burning. Adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Calories: Around 150-180 kcal
- Total Fat: 10-12g
- Saturated Fat: 7-8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 35-45mg
- Sodium: 30-40mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 17-20g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 17-18g
- Protein: 0.5-1g