Vietnamese Cucumber Salad
- 4 cucumbers Persian or English 500 gm. or 1 lb.
- 2 scallions
- 1 tbsp. mint
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 1 jalapeno or green chilli
- 2 tbsp. Vegan Fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. Rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. peanuts toasted
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 2 tsp. Sesame oil
- Wash cucumbers and dry them. Slice cucumbers into thin round slices or half moons.
- If your cucumbers have thicker peel, then peel them before slicing.
- Finely slice the scallions and chop cilantro and mint leaves.
- Toast peanuts lightly and keep aside.
- Take cucumbers in a bowl. Add scallions mint and cilantro.
- To prepare the dressing mix together rice vinegar, vegan fish sauce, crushed garlic, sesame oil, thinly sliced red chilli, salt and pepper.
- Mix well to combine.
- Pour the dressing on top of the vegetables and toss.
- Top with crunchy peanuts. Serve immediately.
Choosing Fresh produce: Choose fresh cucumber for a fresh tasting salad.
Balancing the Dressing: The dressing is all about balance. If you find the dressing too salty, add more lime juice or a bit of sugar.
If it’s too tangy, add a bit more vegan fish sauce or sugar. Taste and adjust until you find the perfect harmony of flavors.
Skip chilli if you do not like heat in your salad.
You can skip vegan fish sauce and use soy sauce in its place.
( Vegan fish sauce is a plant-based substitute for fish sauce that is made with ingredients like dulse , dried shiitake mushrooms, chickpea miso, and tamari )
Serving Immediately: To maintain the salad’s freshness and crunch, it’s best to serve it immediately after dressing.
If you’re preparing the salad in advance, keep the dressing separate and combine just before serving.
Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 592mg | Potassium: 555mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 721IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg