This Ultimate Veggie Mac n Cheese is a delicious way to get your kids eating more vegetables!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time37 mins
Total Time57 mins
Course: Main Course
- 13 x 9 Casserole Dish
- 16 ounces gluten free penne
- 1 head broccoli chopped
- 1 ½ cups English peas shelled
- 2 large carrots grated (or 3 medium sized)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 cups milk
- 18 ounces cheddar cheese or cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding vegetables in the last two minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Meanwhile, make sauce by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk for 2 minutes, until golden brown. (Note that some gluten-free flours do in brown well.)
- Add milk and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Add all but ½ cup cheese, mustard powder, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Cook over low heat until cheese melts.
- Toss pasta and veggies with cheese sauce and place in a casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Calories: 474kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 624mg | Potassium: 506mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3630IU | Vitamin C: 63.8mg | Calcium: 471mg | Iron: 1.8mg