Soup isn’t just for the chilly days. This soup is the perfect way to use up all those summer veggies and those tender chunks of beef add such a delicious flavor. A hearty soup that’s sure to satisfy, and you’ll love the left overs!
Cook1 hour 10 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat*
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil**
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (5 oz.) chopped green beans (trim ends first)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn***
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Dab beef dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper then add half of the beef to pot and brown about 4 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Transfer to a plate add another 1/2 Tbsp oil to pot and repeat process with remaining half of beef.
- Add another 1 Tbsp oil to now empty pot then add onions, carrots, and celery then saute 3 minutes, add garlic saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, browned beef, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice throughout, for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes then continue to simmer, covered, 20 minutes (you can also add green beans with potatoes if you like them very soft).
- Stir in green beans and simmer 15 minutes longer, or until all of the veggies and beef are tender.
- Pour in corn and peas and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
*Look for a fatty marbled batch of stew meat, it will be more tender. Dice any larger chunks bite size as needed.
**1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning can be used in place of basil, oregano and thyme.
***Fresh corn/peas can be used here as well, just add when adding green beans.
Vegetable Beef Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 344Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Vitamin A 3445IU69%
Vitamin C 32.1mg39%