- Author: Verna
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 23 Minutes
- Total Time: 43 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan Zuppa Toscana! Famous Olive Garden Soup Recipe made Vegan! with spicy plant based sausage, kale, potatoes, cashew cream simmered in full flavoured Italian broth. Easy hearty healthy delicious! Vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free.
- 4 Beyond meat sausages, sliced (hot italian)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or favourite cooking oil
- 1 medium – large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- pinch or two crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian better than bouillon no chicken soup base
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetarian better than bouillon no beef soup base
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6 cups peeled and chopped russet potatoes (bite size pieces)
- 3 cups chopped kale, packed and stems removed (can use Swiss chard or spinach)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Heat soup pot over medium heat (I use my Dutch Oven), add the oil and sausages. Fry for 4-5 minutes until browned and fully cooked. Break in half with wooden spoon while cooking for smaller bites if you like. Transfer to bowl, set aside.
- To the same pot add onions. Saute for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, fennel, and red pepper flakes. until fragrant 30 seconds or so.
- Add water, vegetable bouillon, potatoes and nutritional yeast, Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce to a good simmer for 8 minutes or until potatoes are just fork tender.
- Add kale, cover and cook 3-5 minutes longer or until kale is tender.
- Uncover and stir in cashew cream and sausages. Season with salt and pepper.
- For cashew cream: add cashews, water and vinegar to Nutra bullet, blend until smooth (could use high speed blender but I find this easier and less messy)
- Enjoy! Serve with warm crusty no knead artisan bread, or focaccia, mmm yum! For step by step photos see above post
- For nut free: could try using vegan cream cheese, coconut milk or oat milk (fyi- I haven’t tested with these)
- To store and freeze: will keep covered in fridge for 4-5 days and can be frozen for 2-3 months
Serves 6Serving Size: 1Calories Per Serving: 373