- ▢1 tbsp Sesame oil Or olive oil
- ▢1 Inch Ginger Root Finely chopped
- ▢3 Garlic Cloves Finely chopped
- ▢1 Onion Diced
- ▢2 tbsp Red Thai Curry Paste
- ▢1 Red bell pepper
- ▢1 Bok Choy chopped
- ▢4 cups Vegetable stock nee notes
- ▢250 grams Udon Noodles 1 pack of dried noodles
- ▢1 cup Broccoli, cut into florets
- ▢200 grams Firm Tofu Cut into cubes
- ▢½ Can Coconut Milk approx 1 cup
- ▢½ tsbp Light brown sugar
- ▢Juice + zest of 1/2 lime
- Start by heating a heavy-bottom pot on the stovetop. Add sesame oil followed by ginger and garlic. Saute on medium heat until aromatic.
- Add the chopped onions and sauce for a couple of minutes. Then add the Thai curry paste.
- Immediately add the chopped bell pepper and chopped bok choy and saute for a minute.
- Add the stock (or substitute with bouillon cubes + water). Increase heat to high-medium and deglaze the bottom of the pot if needed.
- Add the udon noodles and press down into the liquid gently. Cover and let it cook for 5 mins.
- Once the noodles are partially cooked, add the coconut milk, followed by the broccoli and tofu. Mix gently, cover, and cook for 5 minutes more, until noodles are cooked and broccoli is tender.
- The soup is ready. Add 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar, lime zest, and lime juice to season. Stir, check for seasoning, and add salt if needed.
- Serve hot, garnish with sliced bok choy, lemon wedges and optional chili oil. You can also add brean sprouts and shredded carrot as a garnish.
Customize the soup – Optional additional veggies can be added such as – carrots, mushrooms, corn, edamame, snap peas, cabbage. For a non-vegetarian version, use chicken stock or bouillon, add shredded cooked chicken, shrimp, or your choice of protein. You can serve the soup with soft boiled eggs too.
Noodles – I used udon noodles, but egg noodles, ramen, or any kind of dried noodles work well.
Thai curry paste – Use a Thai red curry paste that is mild on spices – less chili, and has a good amount of lemongrass and lime in it. For a vegan version, look for Vegan Thai curry paste which doesn’t use fish sauce.
Calories: 371kcal Carbohydrates: 48g Protein: 16gFat: 15g Saturated Fat: 8g Sodium: 1476mg Potassium: 660mg Fiber: 6g Sugar: 11g Vitamin A: 9711IU Vitamin C: 125mg Calcium: 261mg Iron: 4mg