Enjoy the irresistible flavors of a classic teriyaki sauce without any animal products with this Vegan Teriyaki Sauce recipe. Made with simple, plant-based ingredients, this homemade sauce offers the perfect balance of sweetness and umami, elevating your favorite vegan dishes to new levels of deliciousness.
Servings: This recipe makes approximately 8 servings (2 tablespoons per serving).
- 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce (for gluten-free option, use tamari)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (for a spicy kick)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari or soy sauce, water, maple syrup or agave nectar, rice vinegar, cornstarch or arrowroot powder, minced garlic, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes (if using). Mix until the cornstarch or arrowroot powder is fully dissolved.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Cook the sauce, stirring constantly, until it thickens and comes to a gentle boil. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for an additional 1-2 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the teriyaki sauce cool slightly.
- Once cooled, the teriyaki sauce is ready to be used as a marinade, glaze, or dipping sauce for your favorite vegan dishes.
Note: If you prefer a smoother consistency, you can strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any solid pieces of garlic or ginger.