A vegan twist on this take-out classic, Sweet and Sour Chickpeas are speedy, saucy, and a little bit spicy!
COURSE MAIN DISH CUISINE ASIAN FUSION, VEGAN KEYWORD SWEET AND SOUR CHICKPEAS PREP TIME 8 MINUTES COOK TIME 20 MINUTES TOTAL TIME 28 MINUTES SERVINGS3 SERVINGS CALORIES 180 KCAL
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3-4 TBSP tomato paste
- 1/2 TBSP corn starch (arrowroot/tapioca starch works too)
- 2 TBSP water
- 1.5 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 TBSP low-sodium soy sauce (gluten-free or regular)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- cooked white rice
- steamed veggies: broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc…
- sliced green onions to garnish
- toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- In a medium bowl combine orange juice, tomato paste, corn starch, water, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar. For the Sriracha, add 1 tsp for a medium heat and 2+ tsp for a spicier sauce. I love mine with 2 TBSP Sriracha. Whisk well and set aside.
- Add sauce to a medium pan or skillet and set to medium heat. Allow sauce to cook and bubble, for 10 minutes, sirring often to evenly distribute heat and prevent sticking. Once sauce has thickened, add chickpeas and reduce heat to low. Cover and allow to cook an additional 10 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick and the chickpes are warmed though.
- Top with sliced green onion and toasted sesame seeds and serve with your choice of veggies and grains. Enjoy!
In place of rice you can make quinoa, rice noodles, cauliflower rice, quinoa fried rice, or cauliflower fried rice.
For your veggies, you can whip up a mix of several varieties or simply choose your favorite. Some tasty options are broccoli, asparagus, snow peas, green beans, zucchini, snap peas, carrots, onion, red bell pepper, and/or bok choy.
No tomato paste? No problem! Plain (unseasoned) canned tomato sauce works in a pinch.
Nutrition Facts below are estimated for these sweet and sour chickpeas using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed based on grains/veggies added and enjoy!NUTRITION FACTSAMOUNT PER SERVINGCALORIES 180 CALORIES FROM FAT 27 % DAILY VALUE*FAT 3G5%SATURATED FAT 1G6%SODIUM 877MG38%POTASSIUM 523MG15%CARBOHYDRATES 32G11%FIBER 7G29%SUGAR 8G9%PROTEIN 9G18%VITAMIN A 437IU9%VITAMIN C 27MG33%CALCIUM 62MG6%IRON 3MG17%