These no cook vegan rice paper rolls are fresh, crunchy and full of herbs. These rolls make for a fabulous light summer meal.
Prep Time15 mins
Standing time3 mins
Course: Appetizer, Snacks
Servings: 8 rolls
- 1 kitchen towel
- 1 peeler
- 1 Sharp paring knife
- 1 chopping board
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Colander
For the noodles
- 60 grams thin rice noodles
- 2 cups freshly boiled hot water
For the rolls
- 8 rice paper wrappers
- 50 grams carrots chopped into matchsticks
- 50 grams shredded purple cabbage
- 50 grams cucumbers chopped into thin matchsticks
- 75 grams bell pepper chopped into thin strips
- ¼ cup mint leaves loosely packed
- 20 grams fresh cilantro chopped roughly. Use only the tender stems.
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 cups water for softening the rice paper sheets
- To begin with, wash and pat dry all veggies and herbs.
- Peel the carrots and chop them into matchsticks.
- Do the same for cucumbers.
- Shred the purple cabbage and chop the bell peppers into very thin strips.
- Pick the leaves from the mint and cilantro. Set aside.
Prep the noodles
- Place the rice noodles in a mixing bowl.
- Pour boiling water over it and set the timer to 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, immediately drain the softened noodles in a colander. Set aside.
- Wash a chopping board or wet a kitchen towel and place it over a clean surface.
- Fill a wide and shallow plate with room temperature water.
- Now, place the rice wrapper in the water for just 2 to 3 seconds.
- Immediately remove the wrapper, shake off the excess water and place it over the wet cloth/board.
- You will notice that the rice wrapper has lost its stiffness and is now flexible.
- Place a few carrots, cucumbers and bell peppers about ⅓ of the way up in the wrapper.
- Top this with a some shredded cabbage.
- On this, place a tiny portion of the softened rice noodles.
- Lastly, add some cilantro, mint and finely chopped green onions.
- To finish assembling them, first fold the bottom over the filling.
- Now, fold in both sides and continue to roll them snugly till all the way upwards.
- Finish with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Place each roll at least 1 inch apart since they stick to each other when you stack them.
- Chop your veggies into thin matchsticks or strips. The wrapper is very delicate and tears easily. They are more likely to tear when your veggies are chopped in big chunks.
- You have to be very quick in assembling these rolls. So, prep everything before you start rolling them. Have all the veggies chopped, herbs picked, a wet chopping board and a shallow plate of water handy near you before you begin work.
- Do not soak the rice noodles for a long time in the hot water. Most rice noodles do not need more than 3 minutes of soaking time. I use a kitchen timer for this specifically. They will become mushy.
- To roll the summer rolls easily, place the wet rice wrapper over a wet chopping board or slightly wet kitchen towel. This will prevent it from sticking to the board and help in easy rolling.
- Do not stack the rolls in a pile once you finish rolling. They stick to each other after rolling.
- If your rice paper tears while rolling, cover the roll with another wrapper.
- Whatever you place at the bottom of the roll will be visible on top. So, depending on this, you can choose to assemble ingredients artfully and make these rolls look visually appealing. You can also add edible flowers to pretty them up.
- You can also toss your softened rice noodles in Hoisin sauce or creamy peanut butter dipping sauce before adding them to the rolls.
- The number of rolls that you get from this recipe may slightly vary. This is because the quantity of fillings may differ from person to person. Similarly, if your sheets are smaller, you will need lesser filling for each roll. In that case, you may get more rolls than mentioned here.
- Nutrition values are provided as a courtesy. Please consult a healthcare provider if you have any health concerns.
- For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
- Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
- Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
- Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1674IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg