This plant-based, comfort food bowl – or plate – is loaded with all your southern food faves. Vegan cheesy shells, collards, cornbread and baked bbq tofu.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- cornbread recipe here, prep ahead of time for ease
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 cups collard greens, chopped – about one bunch
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz tofu, firm – cubed
- 1 cup vegan barbecue sauce, DIY or bottled (recipe in notes)
- ¾ cup sweet potato, baked – mashed – skin removed — 1 small potato
- 4-5 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup pasta water, + add more to blend if needed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric, for color – optional
- ¼ cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds, optional
- 3 cups pasta shells
- For ease, I advise making the cornbread ahead of time if possible. This way you can just grab and slice. You can use an easy vegan mix, or follow the recipe linked in notes.
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the tofu cubes with the bbq sauce. then transfer the cubes and sauce to the baking sheet. Spread in a thin layer, so the cubes do not overlap or cover eachother.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and let tofu rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta shells. Cook until tender – make sauce while boiling.
- Microwave your sweet potato for 5-7 minutes, or until tender. Remove skin. Mash and measure out about ¾ cups. You can serve any leftover as another side dish.
- Add all the cheesy sauce ingredients to a blender and blend from low to high until smooth.
- Drain pasta and pour most of the cheesy sauce over top the pasta. Stir to combine and fluff. Set aside in a warm pot with a lid on.
- You can start your collards while your pasta is boiling – since they only take a few minutes. Add your olive oil and garlic to a skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, add in the collards. Toss a bit with the oil and garlic. Then turn off heat and cover the collards with a lid – even a heavy lid will work. Let them sit for five minutes, then add the cider vinegar and salt and pepper – toss to combine – they should be nicely wilted at this point.
- Add the tofu, collards, cheesy pasta and cornbread to each plate and serve!
- large soup pot
- baking sheet
- mixing bowl
- cornbread pan
recipe author: Kathy Patalsky
- my cornbread recipe
- my BBQ sauce recipe
- cooking speed note: all these dishes can be made at the same time. Start with the pasta or tofu since they will take more time to cook/boil, then move onto the sauce and collards as the tofu and pasta cook.
- Prepping the cornbread ahead of time – or as the very first step will help in cooking speed and ease.
nutrition estimate | per serving
Calories: 627kcal | Carbohydrates: 96g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1042mg | Potassium: 567mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 6040IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 3mg