Scallion pancakes- crispy, flaky and outright delicious Chinese scallion or green onion pancakes with very few ingredients like flour, scallions, salt and oil. Vegan recipe! This scallion pancake recipe shared here is super easy to make and authentic one that I have been making for years. Do try this keeper fail proof recipe and enjoy!
PREP TIME 20 minsCOOK TIME 15 minsTOTAL TIME 35 minsCOURSE Appetizer, Main CourseCUISINE Chinese, continentalSERVINGS 8 pancakesCALORIES 212 kcal
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 tablespoons oil for spreading in the dough + 2 teaspoons for making dough
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion greens or spring onion greens
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 8 teaspoons oil one for eahch pancake
Making The Dough
- Combine flour, salt, oil in a mixing bowl.
Add water gradually and knead into a very smooth and supple dough. Let the dough sit for 15-20 minutes.
Divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
Spread oil generously and sprinkle finely chopped scallion greens and chili flakes.
Now starting from one edge, roll into a tight log. Pinch and seal the edges.
Starting from one end, roll into a coil.
Now roll the coil into a thick circle gently without spoiling the layers.
Heat a cast iron pan and add few drops of oil. Place the rolled pancake and add oil over the edges. Cook in medium flame for 2 minutes. Flip and cook until it turns crispy and golden brown.
- While making the dough start with less water and as you knead. I have not given exact quantity of water as every brand of flour is different and requires different quantity of water.
- Use sesame oil if possible to get that authentic flavor. If it not available use any neutral cooking oil. I do not recommend olive oil for this recipe.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve these scallion pancakes warm either as whole or cut into wedges with a dipping sauce like chili garlic sauce,mango chili sauce, bell pepper sauce, tomato sauce etc.
Serving: 8scallion pancakesCalories: 212kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 3gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 5mgPotassium: 38mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 74IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 6mgIron: 1mg