- 1 med butternut squash approx 3lbs
- 1 small head of garlic, 2 tbl butter
- 1 lb vegan sausage links roughly crumbled using hands or back of fork (casings removed)
- 1 small onion sliced into half moons (approx 1 1/2 cups)
- small red potatoes sliced (approx 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot cut into matchsticks (approx 1 cup)
- 2 cups no ch’kn broth (sub veggie broth)
- 1 tsp celery seeds, 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp curry powder, s/p to taste
- 1/2 cup non-dairy cream cheese (room temp)
- 1/2- 1 cup non dairy milk
- To Roast Butternut Squash: slice in half using a sharp knife, scoop out seeds & stringy fibers, cut off the head of garlic, brush squash with olive oil & inside cavity. Place garlic head cut side down inside one of the cavities. Season with s/p. Place on baking tray & roast in preheated oven at 400 F till caramelized & fork can easily pierce through depth (approx 60-80 min). Let cool. Skin should peel off easily.
- In a blender, combine squash & squeeze garlic from its skin into mixer. Add 1/2 cup of broth. Blend till smooth.
- For Sausage: in a large pot or dutch oven: heat 1 tbl butter on med heat. Add sausage to pan, cook till browned (approx 10 min). Set aside
- In the same pot over med heat, add the remaining butter, when warmed add onion, carrots, & potatoes, season s/p. Cook 8-10 min till onion is soft & golden. Scraping up any brown bits from sausage for added flavor. Add 1 tbl water if it pot gets to dry.
- Next, add puréed squash, seasonings, & remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, making sure veggies are covered with liquid. Bring to a boil, then simmer on med/low heat covered 20-30 min till carrots are tender & flavors meld. Mix occasionally
- Turn off heat, add cream cheese, mix till combined. Add milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve Soup with sausage crumbles on top. Enjoy!!