VEGAN SAMOSA RECIPE
yield: 10 LARGE OR 30 MINI SAMOSAS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
FOR THE SAMOSAS
- 1 package phyllo pastry (about 10 sheets)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 green chili
- 1 ¼ cm (½ inch) piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon mango powder/amchur or a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 cup peas
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
FOR THE SIMPLE MANGO CHUTNEY
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- Half a red onion, finely diced
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
FOR THE SAMOSAS
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cool, remove the skins and dice.
- Dice the chili and ginger finely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry until they release their aroma and have turned a couple shades darker in colour. Add the chili and ginger and continue frying for about a 30 seconds to a minute until fragrant.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the garam masala, chili powder, fennel and coriander. Allow to cook for one to two minutes until the spices release their fragrance. Add the diced potatoes, peas and mango powder (or lemon), mix well and season with salt to taste. Sprinkle over the chopped cilantro leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Take one sheet of phyllo pastry (cover the remaining sheets with a damp towel to prevent drying out) and place it in front of you with the long sides horizontally and the short sides vertically. Brush it lightly with olive oil (optional). Fold the bottom edge up to the middle, and then fold the top edge down over the middle to meet the fold at the bottom. Now you have one long strip of three layers of pastry.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of potatoes on one side of your phyllo strip. Take the bottom corner and fold it over the filling to meet the top edge, making a triangle. Then fold the triangle over the flat side to reverse the triangle shape. Continue folding it over itself until you reach the end of your phyllo strip. Brush the edges lightly with oil or water to seal. Repeat with the remaining phyllo pastry sheets and then bake the samosas on a baking pan for 20 minutes until golden brown, or as indicated on the phyllo pastry package.
To bake samosa in the oven preheat the oven at 180°C (356°F) for 3 minutes. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper or sprayed with oil place, oil brushed samosa in a single layer. Bake these samosas at 180°C (356°F) for 8-9 minutes
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 530TOTAL FAT: 22gSATURATED FAT: 10gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 9gCHOLESTEROL: 53mgSODIUM: 614mgCARBOHYDRATES: 72gFIBER: 6gSUGAR: 33gPROTEIN: 13g