Potato curry or aloo curry recipe made easily with simple pantry staples. Vegan and gluten free. Thick, flavorful and hearty curry for weeknight family dinners, ready in 30 minutes. Stovetop and instant pot methods included.
PREP TIME 15 minsCOOK TIME 20 minsTOTAL TIME 30 minsCOURSE Side Dish SERVINGS 3CALORIES 115 kcal
- 2 Potatoes large
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk optional
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy pan. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 green chilies and 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste. Saute for a minute. Add chopped onions and saute until they turn a bit soft.
Now add the chopped tomatoes.
Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder and 1 teaspoon garam masala powder. Y0u can also add 2 teaspoons curry powder.
Mix well and saute until tomatoes are fully cooked and soft. It should release oil from sides.
Now add 1.5 cup water and mix. Simmer till the curry base thickens for around 8-12 minutes. Now you can add 1/2 cup thick coconut milk if you like. Season with salt to taste.
Add boiled and cubed potatoes.
Mix well. Close the pan with a lid and simmer or another 5-6 minutes.
Add lemon juice and remove from flame. Now add finely chopped cilantro leaves.
Serving: 3servingsCalories: 115kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 2gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 24mgPotassium: 455mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1242IUVitamin C: 21mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 2mg