- Author: Eat Drink Shrink
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3-8 depending on size
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk, room temp
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2/3 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh spinach (a handful)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F., line 8 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners. For standard-size muffins line 10 muffin cups. (optional) Fill the remaining cups with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help the muffins bake evenly.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- To a high power blender or food processor add melted coconut oil, sugar, mashed banana, spinach, almond milk and almond extract. Blend until smooth. If the mixture is too cold and coconut oil begins to solidify, simply pop in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Add wet to dry ingredients lightly combine. Do not over mix. (The muffin batter will be quite thick) Fill batter into the muffin cups.
- Top with chopped pistachios. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- The larger you make the muffins the longer it will take to cook thru. After 5-7 minutes make a tent with aluminum foil and continue baking. I do this with all muffins to preserve the tops!
If you’d like to have pistachios throughout the muffin simply combine the wet and dry ingredients then fold in the pistachios.
I typically do 1/2 cup sugar, but decided to make these a little sweeter with 2/3 cup!