This Vegan Orange Cake with Olive Oil is tender, buttery, and packed with orange flavor! It’s the perfect vegan snacking cake to enjoy during citrus season.
- Author: Caitlin Shoemaker
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 1/2 cups (194 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (102 g) cane sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice, strained*
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (about 1 orange)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 8 or 9” springform pan and set aside.
- Dry Ingredients: Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Wet Ingredients: In a smaller bowl, whisk the non-dairy milk, oil, orange juice, sugar, applesauce, vanilla, almond, and orange zest together, until the oil is emulsified.
- Combine: Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while whisking the two together. Mix well until no dry patches of flour remain, but be careful not to overmix; some small lumps are ok. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake: Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 32 minutes for a 9” pan, longer for a smaller pan. The cake is done when the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly.
- Cool & Serve: Place the cake pan on a cooling rack and let the cake cool completely in the pan. Remove the cake and transfer to a serving platter, then dust with powdered sugar, slice, and serve. Store any leftovers at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Orange Juice: I recommend straining any extra pulp out of the orange juice as it weighs the cake down a bit too much. I juiced about 1 1/2 navel oranges to get 1/4 cup of fresh juice, but you could buy unpasteurized juice from the store as well.
- Gluten-Free: I have not tested this recipe with gluten-free flour, but imagine it would work with an all-purpose blend.
- Olive Oil: I like the subtle floral flavor the olive oil adds to this cake, but you could also use melted vegan butter or another neutral oil instead.