- 1 cup cooked lentils (green or brown)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked lentils, breadcrumbs, chopped onion, minced garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flaxseed and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes thick and sticky.
- Add the flaxseed mixture to the lentil mixture and mix well.
- Roll the lentil mixture into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry the lentil meatballs for 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Transfer the lentil meatballs to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until firm and cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite sauce and enjoy!
Note: You can also freeze the lentil meatballs for later use. Just place them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer them to a freezer bag. To reheat, simply bake in the oven at 375°F (190°C) for 10-15 minutes.