Classic vegan lemon tart with a buttery shortcrust pastry and tangy lemon filling. Simple, easy and refreshing!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Resting Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 40 mins
Cuisine: American, Australian, British, Vegan
Servings: 10 serves
- ▢1 1/4 cups (155g) all-purpose plain flour, (note 1 for gluten free)
- ▢1/3 cup (75g) vegan butter or margarine
- ▢3 tablespoons (35g) granulated sugar, or coconut sugar
- ▢1 tablespoon (15g) cold water, if needed
- ▢1 3/4 cups (420g) thick scoopable canned coconut cream, (note 2)
- ▢1/4-1/2 cup (50-100g) granulated sugar, or liquid sweetener to taste
- ▢~1/3 cup (80g) lemon juice and zest, to taste
- ▢1/3 cup (35g) corn starch / corn flour
- ▢2 tablespoons (30g) vegan butter or coconut oil, optional for texture
- ▢1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- ▢Pinch of turmeric
- ▢Pinch of salt, optional
To decorate (optional)
- ▢Whipped dairy free cream
- ▢Fresh berries
To make the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease or line a 20 cm (8 inch) loose-bottom tart pan.
- Mix all the pastry ingredients in a medium size bowl or food processor. If the mixture is too crumbly, add some extra water and mix until it becomes a pliable dough. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more flour and mix again.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry into a thin circle about 5 mm (¼ inch) thick.
- Transfer the pastry to the tart pan and press it against the base and sides to form a crust. Trim off the excess. If there are any holes, patch it up with the remaining pastry. Prick the bottom with a fork to let hot air escape when baking.
- Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes, or until the pastry is slightly golden. Allow the pastry to cool in the tart pan.
To make the filling:
- Add all ingredients to a medium-size saucepan and whisk to disperse the corn flour.
- Bring to medium to high heat for 5-10 minutes while whisking constantly. The mixture should thicken quickly and coat the back of a spatula. If there are any lumps in the mixture, blend using a stick blender.
- Quickly pour the mixture into your baked tart shell and smooth the top if necessary. Allow the tart to set in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- When the tart is firm to the touch, decorate as desired. Serve immediately!
- The tart can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Best to keep the tart without berries on top otherwise they will leak.
- For a gluten free vegan lemon tart, use ⅔ cup (65g) almond meal/flour and ⅔ cup (105g) gluten-free flour blend which has xantham gum.
- For a coconut free lemon tart, substitute the coconut cream with 315g dairy-free milk with 170g firm silken tofu. Blend the ingredients together until smooth. Cook the mixture on the stove-top for 15-20 minutes or until it forms a THICK custard. The coconut-free lemon tart is more soft and custard-like than the one pictured.
Serving: 1 slice | Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 20g | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 288IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 2mg