A delicious Vegan Katsu Curry alternative, served with curnchy Cauliflower Nuggets.
Prep Time20 minsCook Time30 minsTotal Time50 mins
Course: Main CourseCuisine: JapaneseKeyword: califlower, curry, katsu Servings: 4 Calories: 495kcal
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup plant-based milk unsweetened
- 2 cups Bread crumbs fine
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 to 3 cm ginger diced
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 400 ml homemade stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180Cº / 350Fº.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. In a big bowl, mix the flour, pepper, salt, coriander and cumin powder. Add the plant-based milk and whisk until you have a uniform batter.
- Dip the cauliflower florets into the batter until they are fully coated. In a separate bowl, add the fine breadcrumbs and dip each cauliflower floret into the bread crumbs until perfectly coated. The results will be better if you bread the florets with the breadcrumbs one by one even if it takes a bit longer.
- Place the cauliflower on a baking tray and bake for about 40 minutes. Flip the cauliflower halfway to ensure that it cooks perfectly on both sides.
Katsu Curry Sauce
- While the cauliflower nuggets are baking, heat 1-2 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat and add the onion, carrot, garlic and ginger. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add the curry and turmeric and cook for another minute.
- Add the flour and then pour in the vegetable stock a bit at a time while constantly mixing. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrot has softened.
- Add the coconut milk, soy sauce and honey or maple syrup and transfer the sauce to a blender. Blend until you have a smooth consistency.
Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1056mg | Potassium: 907mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 3040IU | Vitamin C: 78mg | Calcium: 271mg | Iron: 8mg