- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa rinsed (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, or water in a pinch
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups cooked black beans drained and rinsed (or two 15-oz. cans)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for serving
- sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, hot sauce, limes, etc. optional (for serving)
- In a large pot or deep skillet, sauté the diced onion and bell pepper in olive oil (1 tablespoon) over medium-high heat until softened and browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and stir; sauté for thirty seconds (or until fragrant).
- Add rinsed quinoa (3/4 cup), cumin (1 teaspoon), cayenne pepper (1/4 teaspoon), 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; stir to coat.
- Add vegetable broth (1.5 cups), stir, and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer covered for approximately 20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
- Stir in frozen corn (1 cup), black beans (3 cups), and fresh cilantro (1/2 cup); continue cooking on low heat until beans and corn are heated through (about 5 minutes). Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve, and top with optional fixings in a bowl or in a wrap as a burrito if desired.
- You can use any kind of quinoa you want, but I prefer white colored quinoa because I think it cooks a little faster, and the texture is lighter and fluffier. Rinsing it first in a mesh sieve will take away some of the bitter flavor.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will stay good for 3-5 days.
- Ingredient substitutions: use rice or orzo in place of the quinoa (adjust liquid accordingly), pinto beans or a combo instead of black beans.
- Make it extra spicy by adding a diced jalapeño pepper with the bell pepper and/or adding more cayenne pepper. Make it mild by omitting the cayenne pepper.
- Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 951mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1118IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 5mg