It’s perfect for all our allergy-sensitivities. And we gave it a new name…Vegan & Gluten-Free Hot Water Cornbread.
- 2 cups Cornmeal, yellow
- 2 cups Water, boiling
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Canola Oil
- About 30 minutes before mealtime, heat 2 cups of water to boiling.
- Measure out 2 cups cornmeal, add 2 teaspoons Baking Powder and 1/2 teaspoon Salt. Mix together.
- Add 1 cup boiling (or still very hot) water and stir.
- Continue adding hot water in small amounts and stirring, until all the cornmeal mixture is damp. You may not use all the water, but that is ok.
- Set aside for about 15 to 20 minutes and let the cornmeal absorb the water.
- Put about 1/4 inch of Canola Oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Pour off and discard any un-absorbed water from the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour a little bit of the hot oil into the cornmeal mixture and stir–careful to not touch the hot oil.
- Spoon about 1/3 to 1/2-cup blobs of cornmeal mixture into hot oil.
- When the edges begin to turn golden, carefully turn over the patties (I use two spatulas, to keep from splashing the hot oil.)
- Cook for a couple of minutes, then check to see if the second side has browned. The time will vary, depending on how hot your oil is.
- Remove to paper towel-covered plate to drain, then serve and enjoy.