Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 25 Falafel
Easy Falafel recipe perfect to feed a crowd. Stuff them in your pita or serve them with hummus – either ways they are delicious. Naturally Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free !
- 250 g dried chickpeas
- 1 medium sized onion
- 5 garlic clove crushed
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
- about 750ml sunflower oil for deep-frying
- Rinse the chickpeas twice in running water and soak them in nearly twice the amount of water for atleast 8 hours or over night. They would nearly double in size. Drain the water and rinse again.
- Add them in batches to a food processor or a grinder jar along with chopped onions, garlic, cumin and coriander powder. Grind them and scrape the sides until you get a smooth paste. Add the chopped parsley and coriander leaves and blend again. Adjust salt as needed.
- Once you have achieved the desired texture for the falafel mixture, transfer them to the bowl. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Add the baking powder to the falafel mixture and prepare for deep frying.
- Deep Frying – Heat Oil in medium heat. While the Oil is getting heated, make small falafel balls and set them side. While frying anything, as a precaution, I would test with one to check if the mixture does not separate out and the oil is well heated. Once this works, I would add 4-5 falafel balls together in the next batch. Fry for approximately 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Drain them onto a kitchen towel.
- Air Frying Falafel – Preheat the Airfryer to 180C. Arrange the shaped falafel balls in the airfryer basket and brush them with oil. Air fry for 16- 18 minutes, checking in between until its done.
- Repeat the process for the remaining falafel balls.
- Adding flour to the falafel mixture is option. you can add 1 1/2 tsp chickpeas flour or plain flour.
- This is an eggless recipe. Some people prefer adding eggs to ensure binding is 100% . I have not tested it, hence cannot guarantee.
- If you do not have parsley at hand, you may replace all of them with coriander leaves.
- Calories: 40kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2.1g | Fat: 0.6g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1.4g | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg
Leave a Reply