yield: ABOUT 12 EMPANADAS
prep time: 35 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 50 MINUTES
The best vegan empanada recipe made with a homemade dough and filled with tempeh, onion, potatoes, peppers and spices!
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter (chilled and cubed)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Pepper
- 4 oz. Tempeh
- 1 Potato
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- Add flour and salt to a large bowl and mix well, add chilled and cubed vegan butter and cut it into the flour with a pastry cutter or a fork until the texture is a bit sandy.
- Add water, starting with 1/2 cup and adding as little as possible to form it into a ball of dough.
- Let it rest in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the chopped tempeh, onion, minced garlic and dried thyme for 5-8 minutes or until fragrant and translucent.
- Add chopped pepper, diced potato, and spices and cook until pepper and potato are soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit while you prepare the empanada dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lay your dough down on a floured flat surface. Cut the dough in half and roll out until it’s thin but still sturdy, cut roughly 4 inch circles and place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Scoop roughly 2 tablespoon amounts of filling into the center of each circle, lightly wet all edges with water or oil and squeeze together. Use a fork to seal them as well.
- Lightly brush all empanadas with 2-4 tablespoons oil and bake for 15-20 minutes – broil for the last few seconds or so until it browns nicely.
- Serve with sauce of choice!
YIELD: 6 SERVING SIZE: 2 Empanadas
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 518TOTAL FAT: 18gSATURATED FAT: 3gTRANS FAT: 1gUNSATURATED FAT: 14gSODIUM: 713mgCARBOHYDRATES: 47gFIBER: 3gSUGAR: 1gPROTEIN: 11g