- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Category: Soups, Gluten free
- Method: Stovetop
A twist on the classic Russian beet soup, this Vegan Doukhobor Borscht Soup is full of creamy mashed potatoes, vegetables, sauerkraut, beets, and fresh dill for bright and bold flavors! The recipe originated in western Canada but can be enjoyed by all.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 6 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 large green pepper, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled (5 halved widthwise, one diced)*
- 1 small beet, peeled and sliced in half
- 3 quarts water (12 cups)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup canned coconut cream
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
Read through instructions before starting.
- First prepare all ingredients, peel and halve potatoes, slice beet, etc,.. and have everything on the counter. Place diced vegetables and diced potato in separate piles on a large plate/platter. Add 3 tablespoons vegan butter and coconut cream to a large bowl set aside (for mashed potatoes later). Add shredded cabbage in another bowl. Keep chopped dill and sauerkraut off to the side as they are added at the end. Have water and salt measured and ready too.
- On the stovetop place a large stock pot/soup pot and a large non stick skillet. Add the canned tomatoes and 1/2 of diced yellow onion to the soup pot. To the skillet add cabbage, rest of yellow onion, green peppers and 1/4 cup butter.
- Cook tomatoes over medium heat. Mash with potato masher once they are simmering. Cook for 15 minutes or so until they have cooked down and thickened. At the same time saute cabbage mixture over medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Do not brown (or very little), stir in garlic for the last couple of minutes, set aside.
- Add fried cabbage to tomatoes in the soup pot with water, salt, beet, potatoes and rest of veggies – EXCEPT BUTTER, CREAM, SAUERKRAUT AND DILL – Cover with lid just slightly ajar and bring to a good boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 23 minutes (yes keep it boiling). Remove from heat. Carefully remove potatoes as they will be tender, add them to the butter and cream in a bowl and mash until smooth and creamy. Stir back into soup. Check veggies for doneness and if necessary simmer soup uncovered for a couple minutes on medium-low heat. Discard the beet.
- Stir in dill and sauerkraut. Let soup sit off heat partially covered for 15-20 minutes to meld the flavours and thicken a little. Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste, add more dill if desired. Enjoy with homemade bread. This soup is even better reheated the next day. For step by step photos, FAQ, Tips and suggestions see above post.
Total Fat 5.6g
10%Total Carbohydrate 28g