This one-pot vegan curry lentil soup is easy to prepare and perfect for a quick dinner on a chilly evening. It’s packed with a mix of economical and wholesome ingredients and is super delicious! Serve it as is in a bowl or over rice to get even more meals for just pennies more!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil –
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely diced –
- 2 tablespoons finely diced ginger –
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (adjust depending on how strong your curry powder is) –
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional if your curry powder is not spicy) –
- 2 medium carrots peeled and small diced –
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and small diced –
- ¾ cup (170 grams) dried brown lentils rinsed –
- 3 cups (710 ml) vegetable stock –
- 4.5 oz (125 grams) frozen chopped spinach –
- 1 (13.5 oz / 400 ml) can coconut milk –
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste –
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft and transparent then add the ginger and garlic and fry another 30 seconds to a minute, or until soft.
- Add the curry powder and cayenne, if using, and fry, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds to release the aromas.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, lentils and vegetable stock. Raise the heat to bring it to the boil then cover and reduce the heat to minimum.
- Allow to simmer, covered, very gently until the lentils are tender – about 30 minutes. Check on it from time to time to ensure the lentils are submerged. Add more stock or water to keep them submerged if necessary.
- Once tender add the frozen spinach, coconut milk and salt. Raise the heat to medium and allow to cook for another couple of minutes until hot.
- Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 1088mg | Potassium: 1032mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 7475IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 9mg
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. Please refer to our nutrition disclaimer for more information.
Leave a Reply