This vegan wild rice soup is rich and creamy, flavourful and comforting with a mix of hearty vegetables and wild rice. It’s super easy to make and perfect for dinner on a chilly evening!
Course: Main Course, starter
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion finely diced
- 1 large celery rib finely diced
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium potato peeled and diced in ½ inch (1 ¼) cm cubes
- ½ cup (105 grams) wild rice rinsed in cold water (optional: soak for several hours or overnight to reduce the cooking time)
- 2 ½ cups (590 ml) vegetable stock plus a few splashes if necessary
- ½ cup (120 ml) full fat coconut milk –
- Salt and pepper to taste
- This recipe serves 3. You can double it to serve 6 but keep in mind that if you have any leftovers the rice will continue to absorb the stock and be more like creamy rice than soup. You can avoid this by cooking the rice in a separate pot and storing it separately. If you do this, you may want to reduce the quantity of stock by about a cup so that it’s not overly brothy.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft and transparent.
- Add the celery, carrot and garlic. Fry, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften – about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme and flour and cook, stirring frequently, to cook off the raw flour taste – about 3 minutes.
- Add the potato, rice and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover with a tight lid.
- Simmer gently on low until the vegetables and rice are tender. The time depends on the brand of rice you use and your cooking preference. See post above for more details. Mine is done in 25 minutes but other brands take up to 45 minutes or more. If yours is absorbing a lot of the stock before it’s done, add a few more splashes.
- When the rice is cooked to your preference, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately as the rice will continue to absorb the stock as it sits.
- Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 1201mg | Potassium: 582mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3814IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 5mg