This Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is rich and creamy but completely dairy free! It’s easy to make in one pot, ready and on the table in 30 minutes, and packed with earthy and comforting mushroom goodness. A comfort food not to be missed!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or use olive oil*
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced (approx. 700 grams)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (powder)
- 1 -1 litre carton mushroom broth, approx. 4 and 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour or a gluten free blend
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef or veggie Soup Base (optional but tasty)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1- 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the vegan butter, onions and a pinch of salt and pepper to a large soup pot (I use my Dutch Oven). Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes or so until onions are softening and browning. Stir in garlic.
- Now add the mushrooms. Stir frequently and cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked down and tender. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, give it a good stir.
- Stir in the broth and rest of the ingredients (except balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper). Bring to a boil on high heat. Cover and reduce to a simmer on medium-low heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Remove two big ladles of soup and blend in your blender (Vitamix is great) or Nutribullet. Pour back into the soup. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy! Serve as an appetizer or entree for lunch or dinner with some artisan bread , or garlic bread. For step by step photos, tips and more see post above.
- Mushrooms: use any variety of mushrooms you like, portobello, shitaki, white button, etc,.. I am just partial to cremini for this soup
- Feel free to puree the whole soup if you’d prefer!
- Oil free: for oil free soup omit the oil and sauté with a splash or two of vegetable broth instead.
- Store: soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and freezes well.
Serving Size: 1
Calories Per Serving: 188
Leave a Reply