- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan Carrot Cake, topped with cream cheese frosting! The best flavour using simple ingredients! Perfectly spiced, incredibly moist with pineapple, and yogurt. Great for Easter or any occasion.
WET INGREDIENTS FOR CARROT CAKE:
- 3 cups grated carrots, (don’t skimp) I use a boxed grater
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened vegan yogurt, I use Silk Cultured Coconut Plain
- 1/2 cup oil, I use grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
DRY INGREDIENTS FOR CARROT CAKE:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder ( make sure it is fresh and not expired)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, (make sure it’s levelled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 recipe Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Start by preheating your oven to 350° then lightly grease a 2 – 9 inch round non stick cake pans. I also line my pans with parchment paper rounds and lightly grease them.
- In a medium mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients: all purpose flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nuts. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the wet ingredients: raw carrots, vegan yogurt, oil, sugars, pineapple, and vanilla. Whisk until combined
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until completely combined
- Distribute the batter evenly into your two prepared baking pans
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes on a cooling rack in the pans for 20 minutes. Then remove from pans and cool completely on rack
- While cakes are cooling make Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting if using
- When the cakes are completely cooled, frost with icing if using. Garnish with chopped walnuts if you like.
- Keep Cake covered and refrigerated until ready to serve. Carrot Cake will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. Enjoy!
- gluten free carrot cake: I have not tested this recipe with gluten free flour blend like Bob’s Red Mill but I imagine it would work just fine.
- I have not tested this recipe with white whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour or almond flour
- I have not tried subbing almond milk for vegan yogurt.
- I have not tried using melted coconut oil or another oil in place of the grapeseed oil
- I have not tried using coconut sugar or maple sugar in place of regular sugar
- pulse crushed pineapple in food processor a couple of times, if wanting it less chunky
- You can substitute unsweetened apple sauce for pineapple
- Sub pecans for walnuts
- Add in 1/2 a cup of raisins if that’s your thing!
- Bake in a 9×13 cake pan instead of a two layer cake, or make a sheet cake or carrot cake cupcakes!
- Ice the cake with your favourite vegan buttercream frosting instead of cream cheese frosting!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, /Canadian
Serves 12Serving Size: 1Calories Per Serving: 410
Total Fat 23.3g 30% 0%Cholesterol 0mg14%Sodium 326.1mg18%Total Carbohydrate 49.1gSugars 29.2g6%Protein 2.9g