COURSE: SOUPS & STEWS
DIET: GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 6 SERVINGS
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes fire roasted tastes great!
- 1 head of cabbage ~1½ lbs
- 1 can cannellini beans see notes for substitutions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped, for garnish, optional
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add chopped onion, carrots and celery and cook until soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds while stirring constantly, until fragrant. Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes, thyme, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes, careful not to burn.
- Add chopped cabbage and tomatoes and cook for a minute. Then, add vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Finally, add the cannellini beans, and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Start checking after 5 minutes, to avoid overcooking!
- Turn off heat, adjust seasoning as needed, remove the bay leaf and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot with some crusty bread!
- Choice of beans: You can replace the cannellini beans with any beans of your choice. I’ve used Northern beans, chickpeas, and even kidney beans in this recipe!
- Add greens: I love stirring in some spinach or kale at the end to add some more texture and flavor to this recipe.
- Add in starches: You can add potatoes or sweet potatoes to this recipe if you want something a bit more filling. You can also add cooked pasta to the recipe to add a carb component.
- When you add the vegetable stock, make sure to scrape the bottom for any “brown bits” – this will impart extra flavor to the soup!
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1886mg | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 4527IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 3mg