This baked vegan brown rice pudding is a healthier twist on the sweet and creamy classic dessert. With cinnamon, maple syrup, and raisins, it’s also fantastic for breakfast! Switch things up with different spices and toppings.Reprinted with permission from author Jenn Sebestyen and John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Servings: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins
- baking dish
INGREDIENTS US CustomaryMetric
- coconut oil, for greasing the dish
- 1 ½ cups brown rice – We liked short grain best in this recipe.
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 ½ cups vanilla rice milk (I couldn’t find rice milk and used vanilla almond milk instead), divided – I used closer to 2 cups because we wanted it extra creamy and vanilla-y.
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon – In my 2nd batch I decreased to 2 teaspoons for a slightly lighter color and stronger vanilla flavor.
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- pistachios, almonds, or other nuts for garnish
Prevent your screen from going dark
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, place the brown rice and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until very soft, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large baking dish with coconut oil (I used a 9-inch square ceramic dish).
- In a large bowl dissolve the arrowroot powder in 1 cup of the milk (I used 1 ½ cups milk here to make it extra sweet and creamy). Add the cooked rice, raisins, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until browned and bubbly, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the remaining ½ cup of milk. Let cool for about 1 hour before serving. Garnish with nuts.
See the Variations section above for more flavor and serving ideas!
Store leftover rice pudding in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy warm or cold.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 180kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 3gFat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 160mgFiber: 2g
Leave a Reply