These vegan black eyed peas and collard greens are cooked easily in the Instant Pot. Filled with vegetables, protein, and fiber, this dish is gluten free, oil free, and plant based. Enjoy this wonderful recipe along with some rice or cornbread for the New Year’s Day, or for any day you want a delicious comfort food meal.
PREP TIME15 mins
COOK TIME17 mins
TOTAL TIME47 mins
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound black eyed peas rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch collard greens thick stems removed, then chopped
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt optional, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté the onion, celery, and bell pepper until the onion begins to brown. When the vegetables start to stick to the pot, add a couple of teaspoons of water to deglaze the surface of the pot.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or two, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the black eyed peas, vegetable broth, smoked paprika, oregano, thyme, chipotle powder, and bay leafs to the pot. Cook the black eyed peas on the manual setting for 10 minutes with a natural pressure release. If the beans are still firm after 10 minutes, bring the pot to pressure again for 2 minutes with a quick pressure release. Repeat until the beans are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Stir and add additional salt, hot sauce, or liquid smoke to taste.
For stove top directions, see blog post.
Serving: 440gCalories: 282.2kcalCarbohydrates: 50.7gProtein: 18.1gFat: 0.5gSodium: 421.4mgFiber: 11.2gSugar: 8.2gVitamin A: 4206.24IUVitamin C: 31.58mgCalcium: 177.16mgIron: 7.3mg