PREP TIME15 mins
COOK TIME17 mins
TOTAL TIME47 mins
- Instant Pot
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound black eyed peas rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch collard greens thick stems removed, then chopped
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt optional, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté the onion, celery, and bell pepper until the onion begins to brown. When the vegetables start to stick to the pot, add a couple of teaspoons of water to deglaze the surface of the pot.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or two, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the black eyed peas, vegetable broth, smoked paprika, oregano, thyme, and bay leafs to the pot. Cook the black eyed peas on the manual setting for 10 minutes with a natural pressure release. If the beans are still firm after 10 minutes, bring the pot to pressure again for 2 minutes with a quick pressure release. Repeat until the beans are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and return the pot to pressure for 2 minutes. Carefully release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir and add additional salt, hot sauce, or liquid smoke to taste.
For stove top directions, see blog post.
Serving: 440gCalories: 282.2kcalCarbohydrates: 50.7gProtein: 18.1gFat: 0.5gSodium: 421.4mgFiber: 11.2gSugar: 8.2gVitamin A: 4206.24IUVitamin C: 31.58mgCalcium: 177.16mgIron: 7.3mg