- 750g White Bread Flour + 3–4 tbsp Flour for Kneading
- 370ml Warm Water
- 250ml Warm Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2–3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 10g (2.5 tsp) Instant Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 tbsp Vegan Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Date Molasses (Any Molasses Will Do)
- 1 tsp All-Purpose Flour
- Pinch of Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp Nigella Seeds
- Combine the warm water and warm almond milk with the yeast and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Add 750g of flour, the sugar and salt to a large bowl and whisk. Gradually pour in the yeast, water and milk mixture and the olive oil and stir with a spoon until the mixture starts to come together to form a sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a surface that has been lightly dusted with flour. Gradually add the remaining 3-4 tbsp of flour to the dough while gently kneading for about 3 minutes. It’s normal for the dough to be very sticky and messy at this point, but after you’ve added the additional flour, it’ll be easier to handle.
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover with cling film and let it prove for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the dough onto a clean surface and divide it into two even pieces. Line a large 13 inch baking tray with baking paper, sprinkle some flour or breadcrumbs onto the baking paper and place each piece of dough on a separate tray and flatten with your hand to create a 10 inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cover each bread with a clean tea towel and let them rise for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze. Melt 1 tbsp vegan butter and combine it with 1 tbsp vegan yogurt, 1 tbsp molasses, 1 tsp flour and a pinch of turmeric.
- After 20 minutes, brush the glaze on top of each bread and using your fingers, make indentations on the dough about 1 inch from the edge to create a circle boarder. Then with your fingers, make diagonal indentations in opposite directions to make squares inside that circle. Sprinkle some sesame and nigella seeds on top of each bread.
- Cover and leave them to rise for 10 more minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F).
- Once the oven is hot, uncover the prepared dough and place on the middle rack and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden.
- Once out of the oven, cover the pide breads with a damp tea towel. This will trap the steam making the bread extra soft and fluffy.
Serving: 1 Whole Pide Bread | Serving Size: 540g | Calories: 1606kcal | Saturated Fat: 4.6g | Cholesterol: 7.4g | Sodium: 1294mg | Carbohydrates: 300g | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 4.7g | Protein: 43g | Vitamin D: 1.3mcg | Calcium: 329mg | Iron: 22mg | Potassium: 660mg
Leave a Reply