Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese is an Indian spin to the ultimate comfort food Grilled Cheese with Tomato.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Course: Dinner, lunch, Snack
Servings: 6 sandwiches
- 5 medium ripe tomato
- 1 small onion
- 3 – 4 Thai green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder ( mild red chili powder)
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch hing ( asafoetida)
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- chopped coriander leaves as needed
- sliced pickled jalapeno as needed
- soft vegan butter
- sour dough bread slices
Making the Tomato Chutney –
- In a skillet heat oil, and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard pops, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 15- 20 seconds and add asafoetida.
- Add the finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chili and a pinch of salt.
- Cook till the onion turn soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander and cumin powder, salt and brown sugar. Give a mix and cook for 30 -35 minutes, stirring in between. do not close the lid while cooking. Mid way in the cooking, taste and adjust the salt and spices.
- After 30 -35 minutes, all the moisture from the tomatoes will be absorbed and the chutney will be thick. At this point you can add some lemon juice to taste. Let it cool for few minutes.
Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese –
- Spread soft butter on two slices of the sour dough bread.
- On the other side of the bread spread the tomato chutney evenly and add sliced jalapeno ( I used pickled jalapeno, adding jalapeno is optional).
- Add fresh chopped coriander leaves and grated white cheddar and grated mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the other slice of bread. Transfer it to a skillet and toast till brown and crispy and cheese is melted.
- Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese tastes best when eaten immediately. You can enjoy it by itself or serve it with soup.
If not available, Asafoetida can be skipped
Leave a Reply