400 g extra firm tofu , frozen overnight and thawed
2 to 3 tbsp all purpose flour or cornstarch
1/4 to 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce see homemade recipe here
Neutral oil for pan-frying
Toasted sesame seeds for topping
Chopped scallions for topping
Steamed short grain rice for serving
Other Vegetables (totally up to you!)
Slice enoki mushroom
Sliced shiitake mushroom
Preparing the Tofu
- Slice your block or blocks of tofu into 3/4 to 1-inch thick slabs. Place on a tray and then leave to freeze at least overnight to harden. No need to press the tofu or squeeze out the liquid before freezing (because you’ll want the water inside the tofu to crystallise and create the amazing texture!
- After freezing the tofu, leave it to thaw in room temperature. When soft, carefully squeeze out the water from the tofu. I did this by carefully placing a slab of tofu between my palms and flattening it to squeeze out the liquid. The tofu will be very delicate at this point so be careful not to over squeeze it since it can easily break apart. Squeeze out the liquid from the remaining tofu.
- After draining the liquid from the tofu, season the tofu with some pepper and a pinch of salt on each side. Rub the salt and pepper on the tofu. Place some flour or cornstarch on a plate. You can start with 2 tbsp of flour or cornstarch and just add more, if needed.
- Place the slabs of tofu in the flour or cornstarch mix and then coat well. Set aside.
Cooking the Tofu
- Heat a large non-stick pan or skillet over high heat. Add some oil. Once hot, place the slabs of tofu and leave to cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until lightly golden.
- Lower the heat to medium and then add in the teriyaki sauce. I started with 1/4 cup and just added more as I went along. Leave the tofu to cook in the sauce. It’ll absorb the sauce and the teriyaki sauce will slowly thicken as it cooks down. Be careful not to cook the tofu in too high heat because the sugars from the teriyaki sauce can easily burn. Scoop up some teriyaki sauce from the base of the pan to pour over the tofu so all sides can be evenly coated.
- Flip over the tofu as needed and leave to cook until the teriyaki sauce has been absorbed by the tofu and has thickened into a glaze. Turn off the heat and then slice the tofu into thin 1/2-inch strips, if desired.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 3012mg | Potassium: 794mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 7mg