Creamy vegan “tuna” salad made with chickpeas and jackfruit. Try this delicious spread in wraps and sandwiches or as an easy snack with raw veggies and crackers. Free from oil, gluten, and soy.
Servings: 5 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
- large saute pan
- food processor
INGREDIENTS US CustomaryMetric
- 1 (20 oz.) can green/young jackfruit in brine
- 1 large lemon, cut in half
- 3 ribs celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red onion, diced (about ¾ cup)
- 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 batch Oil-Free Vegan Aquafaba Mayo – Or ½ to ¾ cup vegan mayo of choice.
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dulse granules – Sub crumbled toasted nori, if desired.
- a few dashes cayenne pepper, optional
- salt, to taste
- Drain the jackfruit and place in a shallow bowl or dish. Cover with water and let soak for a few minutes while you prep the onion and celery and gather the other ingredients. Preheat a saute pan over medium heat.
- Drain the jackfruit, and place on a clean, lint-free towel. Gather up the ends of the towel, hold it over the sink, and squeeze the jackfruit VERY well to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer the jackfruit to the pan, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.* Add 1.5 teaspoons Old Bay to the pan and stir. Cook for another minute or so, then add juice from half a lemon. Stir again, and remove from heat. Transfer jackfruit to a plate to cool.
- In the bowl of a large food processor combine the cooled jackfruit, chickpeas, and ½ cup mayo. Pulse 5 to 8 times. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the dulse granules, cayenne, and more mayonnaise, if desired (I used the entire batch of Aquafaba Mayo to make the tuna salad nice and tangy and rich). Pulse to combine.
- Taste and add more salt, lemon juice, Old Bay, dulse, and/or cayenne, as desired. Add the red onion and celery, and pulse to incorporate. Transfer vegan tuna salad to a lidded storage container, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Sautéing the jackfruit helps evaporate any remaining moisture and enhances the Old Bay seasoning.
Store vegan tuna salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. It holds up very well for meal prep and tastes even better after the first day.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 212kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 8gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 810mgFiber: 9gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 122IUVitamin C: 7.5mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 2.2mg
Leave a Reply