- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings
- Diet: Vegan
The BEST vegan chocolate cake you’ll EVER make!! Super moist fudgy and full of chocolate with an easy healthy dairy free ganache frosting. All 5 star reviews from my readers! They love this cake recipe!
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk, I like cashew, soy milk or almond milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar (could sub apple cider vinegar)
- 200 grams dark chocolate, broken up, I use 2 Great Value dark chocolate bars from Walmart (Canada) or the equivalent of dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil plus 1 tbsp, I use grape seed oil (not coconut oil)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, I use Demerara sugar
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder, reg or decaf ( espresso powder)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICING:
- 350 Grams dark chocolate, broken up, I use Great value dark chocolate from Walmart (Canada) or the equivalent of dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 (400 ml) (14 fl oz) can coconut cream (not milk), I use Savoy brand from Walmart
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° Lightly grease 2- 9 inch round non stick cake pans. I also line my pans with parchment paper rounds and lightly grease them.
- In a small bowl add the plant milk and vinegar, this is your “Buttermilk mixture”, stir and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the dry ingredients and stir to combine, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl add the chocolate pieces, and boiling water, let sit for a minute. Now add the cocoa powder and whisk it until smooth. Then add in rest of “Wet Ingredients” including “Buttermilk mixture”, whisk it until it’s combined.
- Next add the dry ingredients and whisk until it’s smooth. Do not over mix.
- Pour the cake batter into your 2 prepared baking pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Cool the cakes in pans for 10-15 then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on racks before icing.
- Dairy free Chocolate ganache: Add chocolate pieces to a large DRY mixing bowl,
- Heat the coconut cream on stove until hot, don’t let it simmer. Pour the cream over chocolate mixture. Let it sit for a minute then add the cocoa and vanilla. Whisk it until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, whisking after 30 minutes. If the icing seems to soft after 1 hour leave it in the fridge and check every 15 minutes until you have a good consistency.
- Ice the cake: Once cake is completely cool, frost the cake! Enjoy!
- for vegan gluten free chocolate cake: a few of my readers have said they have made this recipe using a gluten free flour blend and it turned out great. I personally have not tried it.
- You can use any unsweetned plant milk you like, soy for nut free, etc.. (soy milk curdles the best for ‘buttermilk’)
- I bake my cakes for 35 minutes
- If you leave icing in fridge for to long, just remove to counter until spreadable.
- If wanting cupcakes bake for 20- 25 minutes
- I use Great value dark chococlate bars from Walmart (Canada) for a lot of my dessert recipes. They are excellent quality and super affordable.
- I wouldn’t use a really dark chocolate for this recipe or your icing won’t be sweet enough.
- The cake does not take on any coffee flavour from the instant coffee, it just adds a richness to the cake. I highly recommend adding it.
- Prep time doesn’t include cooling time for cakes or chilling time for icing.
- This cake will keep covered in the fridge up to 5 days. If using vegan buttercream frosting you can store the cake covered on the counter.
- To freeze cake: Wrap unfrosted pieces with plastic wrap. You can freeze cake for up to a month.
Serves 16Serving Size: 1Calories Per Serving: 457
Total Fat 23.6g 30% 1%Cholesterol 1.7mg12%Sodium 284.5mg21%Total Carbohydrate 57gSugars 36g10%Protein 5g23%Iron 4.1mg7%Niacin (B3) 1.1mg
Leave a Reply