Thai yellow curry with all the vegetables I could get my hands on 🙂 Calling all curry lovers! Here is the ultimate thai curry with that robust yellow curry paste and chunks of vegetables. I have made it vegan with only vegetables but you can by all means add whatever you fancy and make it your own. Totally yummy with steamed jasmine rice and a salad
PREP TIME 15 minsCOOK TIME 25 minsTOTAL TIME 40 minsCOURSE Main CourseCUISINE Asian, thai, ThailandSERVINGS 3CALORIES 161 kcal
For yellow curry paste
- 3 inch tumeric root peeled
- 2 inch galangal or tender ginger peeled
- 1/2 cup cilantro stems
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 5 shallots peeled
- 8 dried thai chili peppers or kashmiri red chilies
- 2 lemon grass stalks chopped
For the curry
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or sesame oil
- 1/2 cup cubed onions
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and chopped
- 3 cups mixed vegetables carrots, beans, corn on cob, eggplants, potatoes
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1.75 cups thick coconut milk
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced bell peppers
- few thai basil leaves
- Combine peeled turmeric root, coriander seeds, cilantro stems, cumin seeds, peeled galangal, lime zest, garlic, shallots, chili peppers or dried red chilies and chopped lemon grass stalks in a blender jar. Blend to a smooth paste.
- This will yield around 6 tablespoons paste. I added around 5 tablespoons for this recipe.
To Make Thai Yellow Curry
- Heat a heavy high rimmed pan over medium heat. I used instant pot for making this curry. Once the pan is hot, add peanut oil.
- Add minced ginger garlic, cubed onions and saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables expect bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, keep sauteing to coat the oil in vegetables.
- Now add the prepared curry paste.
- Mix and coat the curry paste in vegetables well. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1 cup water, brown sugar and salt to taste. At this stage I cooked the curry for 4 minutes in pressure cook mode. You can pressure cook or cover the pan an simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Once done, open the pan and mix gently.
- Add coconut milk and sliced bell peppers.
- Mix well and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped thai basil and mix well
- Serve hot over rice or noodles.
Vegetables- For this recipe you can either steam the vegetables before hand or cook in the curry itself. I have made this Thai yellow curry in instant pot so I just pressure cooked everything for 4 minutes, added bell pepper later and cooked in saute for 2 minutes.You can add the vegetables and simmer the curry for 10-12 minutes on stove top or add steamed vegetables and simmer the curry for 5-6 minutes.Sauteing the curry- The curry paste is a raw one and it needs to be sauteed really well in oil to bring out the flavor as well as make it miler. I like to coat the vegetables with curry paste and saute everything together well. This will infuse the flavor of curry paste into the vegetables.Curry paste– you can make the curry paste well ahead an refrigerate. If you are using store bought paste make sure it is vegan without fish sauce or shrimp paste.If you are using thai red curry paste, you will have to use only 3-4 tablespoons instead of the 5 tablespoons mentioned in the recipe, red paste is spicier. Along with red paste add 1 tablespoon ground turmeric.
Serving: 3gCalories: 161kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 7gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 92mgPotassium: 546mgFiber: 9gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 9242IUVitamin C: 23mgCalcium: 76mgIron: 3mg