Prep Time20 minsCook Time30 minsTotal Time50 minsCourse: lunch, Main CourseCuisine: ThaiKeyword: Thai Red Curry Servings: 2 people Calories: 595kcal
Red Curry Paste Ingredients
- 10-15 Bird’s eye chillis
- 1 tablespoon coriander stems
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped or crushed
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon galagal
- Zest of half a lime just grating the green part
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Thai Red Curry Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 ½ tablespoon red curry paste
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 250 ml water or stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 5-6 kaffir lime leaves
- Fresh chopped vegetables of your choice. We use zucchini, carrots and red pepper
- 250 g firm tofu
Thai Red Curry Paste – Skip if you have store-bought paste
- Using gloves, cut the chillies down the side with scissors, remove the seeds, finely slice them and leave them soaking while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add into the food processor or blender the white and green ingredients: Shallots roughly chopped, lemongrass finely sliced (just the thicker part), garlic cloves, galangal roughly chopped, lime zest and coriander stems. Blend all these ingredients until you have a consistency that already looks like a paste. Keep pushing the ingredients down with a spatula and blending further if needed.
- Add the chillies and blend until you have a red paste. Make sure the chillies are well blended. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Add the spices, sea salt and miso paste. Blend one last time until all the ingredients are perfectly blended and you have the right consistency.
- The paste will be ready to use or to keep in the fridge for later use. You can as well freeze it at this point.
Thai Red Curry with Tofu
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan and add the curry paste. Leave it cooking for 1-2 minutes and then add 2 tablespoons of coconut milk. Keep cooking until it starts bubbling and the oil separated from the paste.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, water or stock, soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free), brown sugar, lime leaves and fresh veggies of your choice. For this recipe we use carrots, bell red pepper and zucchini.
- To prepare the tofu, cut it into cubes or triangles. We normally pan fry the tofu separately adding some soy sauce to give the tofu some extra flavour but if you want to save time you can cook it directly with the rest of the vegetables inside the curry too.
- Cook until the vegetables are done. We like to cook them partially, so they still have a bit of a crunch.
Calories: 595kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 45g | Sodium: 541mg | Potassium: 462mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2953IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 226mg | Iron: 9mg