- ▢8 Tortilla I used fajita size flour tortillas
- ▢1 can Refried Beans Vegetarian ( 14 oz)
- ▢1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend
- ▢½ cup Enchilada sauce
- ▢2 Tomatoes finely chopped
- ▢2 Spring onions thinly sliced
- ▢1 Jalapeno pepper Optional (deseeded and finely chopped)
- ▢for spraying the pans Oil
- TO CRISP THE TORTILLA –
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Heat a griddle/pan on the stovetop. When the pan is hot, drizzle/spray some cooking oil and fry the tortilla, flipping often.
- Once the tortilla starts to brown, place it on a baking sheet and place it in the oven. Flip a couple of times and let it further cook until they are crispy. It took a couple of minutes for me to completely crisp them.
- You could do this entirely in the oven, but I felt that took longer to crisp. This method of partially cooking it on the stovetop and then finishing in the oven was quicker.
- Repeat the same with all the tortillas and keep them ready.
- ASSEMBLING AND BAKING THE MEXICAN PIZZA –
- Do not turn off the oven yet. We will be using it to bake the pizzas after assembling.
- Remove the refried beans from the can and place it in a heatproof bowl. Heat the beans until it is warm and easily spreadable. I warmed mine for about a minute in the microwave.
- Chop the tomatoes, spring onions, and jalapenos (if using) and keep it ready.
- Place a crisp tortilla on the work surface. Spoon about ¼ of the beans in the center and spread it.
- Cover the beans with another tortilla.
- Spread about a tablespoon of enchilada sauce over the top tortilla.
- Top with ¼ cup of cheese.
- Layer the tomatoes, spring onions, and jalapeno over the cheese.
- Place it in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove it from the oven and let it rest for a couple of minutes before slicing.
- Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 1230mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1046IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 279mg | Iron: 3mg